What Should I Do if I Need Heating Repair?
It’s not something most of us want to think about, but unfortunately, there are times when our heating systems fail us. There can be any number of reasons for heating system failure, including motor problems, fan issues, failed ignition, and even clogged filters. If your heater breaks down, the best thing you can do is call in your HVAC professional, and allow them to troubleshoot and make the repairs.
Of course, you’re probably concerned about what to do if your heating system breaks down. Are there any steps you can take to stay warm while you wait for the technician to arrive? In this article, we’ll talk about what to do while you’re waiting for heating repair, so that you can keep your home as warm as possible until help arrives.
Five Tips for Keeping Your Home Warm While You Wait for Repairs
First and foremost, make sure your heating system is not emitting any smoke or foul odors. If this is the case, you should exit your home right away and call your fire department. Do not stay in your home under these circumstances. Otherwise…
- Close doors to all unused areas of your home. You probably want to try to keep yourself and your family in one area of the home. Try to gather in a common area, like the living room, and close doors to any rooms you’re not using to keep the heat from escaping. And obviously, make sure outside doors and windows are kept closed as much as possible.
- Cook some delicious food. Soup and stew not only are great foods to eat when you’re chilly, they often need to simmer on the stove for a while – and that can help generate warmth. Why not bake some cookies or a loaf of bread, too?
- Gather in the living room for some exercise. It can be as simple as a family dance-off to your favorite tunes, or getting together and working out to a fun exercise video. Moving around can help warm you up and take advantage of body heat!
- Dress as warmly as possible. Sweats, thick sweaters, and comfy fuzzy socks can help you stay warm. Layering your clothing can help keep your body heat in, and can keep the cooler air around you at bay for a while.
- Snuggle under the blankets. While it might not seem like an ideal time for family bonding, gathering in the living room and snuggling under some comfy blankets can help you stay warm. Why not enjoy some popcorn, hot cocoa, and a Netflix marathon while you wait for your technician to arrive?
Call Home Climates at the first sign of heating system concerns.
Whether your system has broken down completely, or you’re concerned that it might, your best course of action is to give Home Climates a call as soon as possible. We are pleased to offer our customers 24/7 furnace repair for no extra fee, and we take every possible measure to arrive at your home within a two-to-four-hour time window. Your comfort is always our number one priority. If you’re in need of a heating repair, call us right away at 717.689.4151 and we will be happy to help you!